Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Latvian Pierogies



This past Easter I went to my mom's house in Rochester, NY and I had share some pictures of my mom's famous pierogies. I had forgotten they were on my memory card until I recently photographed the cookies in my previous post. While I can't share the recipe because it's a family secret, I can share with you the differences between Latvian and Polish pierogies. The only other time I've tasted a pierogie like my mom's has been in Latvia.

So if anyone is at all curious, the main difference is that they are better. :-) Yes, I've tried various iterations at Veselka and Kiev in NYC's East Village but they don't compare. Another difference is that they're baked and not boiled or pan-fried. They don't require the accroutrements often paired with the Polish version like sour cream or apple sauce. These are enjoyed on their own, slightly warmed. Vegetarians beware b/c my mom never diverges from the traditional carniverous filling of bacon, ham and onions. Anyway, if you ever do find the Latvian version of the recipe, give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: