Monday, February 14, 2011

A Match Made in Heaven





In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I started thinking about things that are meant to be.  Perfect pairs, if you will.  Like Audrey Hepburn and cigarette pants.  Or George Clooney and a five o'clock shadow.  A gin and tonic or NYC and Frank Sinatra.  The list could go on!

I think one of my favorite pairings has got to be chocolate and peanut butter.  How can you go wrong?!  So I scoured Epicurious and found a drool-worthy recipe called Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte.  The name is a bit misleading because it's definitely a pie and not a torte.  I'm still a bit shy when it comes to baking pies but this recipe was not in the least bit intimidating.   I think the most difficult aspect was not sampling the chocolate/peanut butter batter!

A few things to note:
I followed one of the suggestions on Epicurious reviews and added just a touch less peanut butter so the pie wouldn't be runny.

Keep in mind that ovens vary - I had to bake my pie twice as long as the recipe stated.

And lastly, pre-bake the pie shell at 400 degrees F for about 10-20 minutes.  Don't forget to poke with a fork so it doesn't puff up.

Enjoy!



Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte Epicurious | September 1999
Yield: Makes 8 servings
ingredients
1 pre-baked pie shell
2 large eggs, at room temperature
4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup lightly salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
preparation
Heat oven to 325°F. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, yolks, and sugar with electric mixer on medium-high speed until it ribbons, about 6 minutes. Meanwhile, in a microwavable bowl, melt peanut butter, butter, and chocolate on high 1 minute. Stir and repeat until mixture is smooth. Cool.
In three additions, fold egg mixture into chocolate mixture. Pour into a prepared pie shell. Sprinkle peanuts over top of pie. Bake 12 minutes. Surface will be soft and somewhat liquid in the center. Allow to cool for 30 minutes and serve. Filling will be slightly runny and ooze out of the pie wedge.








2 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

That looks amazing! If I wasn't trying to still lose my last baby pounds I'd try to make it tonight. Beautiful photo too!

miss mara said...

Thanks! Yeah, it was really tasty. I brought it in to share with my coworkers b/c we didn't want to keep it around the house and snack on it 24/7. It was a hit.