Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Picnic Essential



My friend Jennifer gave me this recipe a while ago. It's a popular item on the menu at the restaurant Houston's. If you're looking for a cold salad to serve at a BBQ or picnic, try this. It's delicious and pretty healthy.

Houston's Cous-Cous Salad

1 box plain cous-cous
a small handful of fresh flat-leafed parsley, chopped very fine
1 small bunch radishes, chopped very fine
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped very fine
a handful of raisins, chopped
2-3 green onions, chopped (the whole thing is fine)
a handful of raw peanuts, without the skin (not roasted), chopped very fine

Dressing
8 oz. container plain yogurt (1 cup)
2 T. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T. honey
2 T. lemon juice

Prepare the entire box of plain cous-cous according to the directions provided on the box. Meanwhile, very finely chop all the vegetables. The recipe doesn't really state how much of these veggies are required so I improvised and provided you with my recommendations. If you like it crunchier, by all means, add some more nuts or veggies. Once all the veggies are chopped and your dressing is mixed, combine all the ingredients including cous-cous in a large bowl. Let the flavors meld in the fridge. Serves about 6 portions.

1 comment:

Jennifer Wells said...

That's so funny you made this because just I made this on the 21st, when Joe and his friend got back from a long bike ride. I hadn't made it since I gave you the recipe, which was at least a year ago. I love your photo of your ingredients! I hope it was yummy. I feel somewhat famous being mentioned on your blog :)