Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Going Green


Well, I'm ashamed to admit that it has been nearly two months since my last post. So what better way to reinvigorate my blog, than to write a post about Earth Day. Happy Earth Day!

I've made a conscious effort to become more green and wanted to share some of the surprisingly easy ways you can make a difference everyday:

-using energy-efficient lightbulbs in my entire apt. (my apt. building actually provided them to all tenants)

-using reusable, canvas grocery bags

-recycling glass/aluminum. Oddly enough, paper has been difficult b/c my apt. building doesn't have recycle bins! But at least I recycle all my paper at work.

-washing my clothes in cold water; it saves energy

-air-drying the dishes in the dishwasher to save energy

-keeping a well-stocked freezer; refrigerators expend more energy to keep the empty space cold

-using cloth napkins instead of disposable paper napkins

-reusing ziploc bags

-going paperless - many credit card companies offer customers the option to get monthly statements delivered via email.

-keeping the heat at 60 degrees Fahrenheit - saves energy and significantly lowers my heating bill (obviously living in a warm climate helps!)

-getting my car cleaned at the car wash - b/c you use more water at home than they do at the car wash. Although I must admit, I've become accustomed to just not washing my car as often.

-using an aluminum Sigg water bottle at the gym

-changing my car's oil every 3K miles, checking tire pressure, not storing extra junk in the car to weigh it down, etc. to keep it running more efficiently.

No comments: