Sunday, November 20, 2011

How to Take the Chill Away

Today was nothing but cold and rainy and after a day full of running errands outside, all I wanted to do was enjoy a warm bowl of soup while watching a movie.  I was feeling a bit lazy but refused to buy ready-made soup so I made this recipe from scratch.  Admittedly, I did take one shortcut and bought a roasted chicken to add to the soup.

Roasted Chicken & Egg Noodle Soup

-1 roasted chicken, about 2 lbs. (meat cut up into bite-size pieces)
-1-2 T. olive oil
-2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped
-1 cup onion, diced
-3 celery stalks, chopped
-1 t. garlic, chopped
-2 cups egg noodles (I actually used German spaetzle b/c it was in my cupboard but any egg noodle will do)
-1 bag fresh spinach
-2 T. fresh dill, chopped
-8-10 cups chicken broth

Sauté onion, celery, garlic and carrots in stock pot w/ olive oil.  Once slightly tender, add chicken stock and bring to boil.  Add egg noodles and cook until cooked through.  While noodles are cooking, chop up roasted chicken meat into pieces and add to soup.  Add washed spinach and simmer until wilted.  Garnish with fresh chopped dill.  Enjoy!



No comments: