Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Day at the Races



I miss my Hasselblad. I realized how much I missed shooting with it when I recently dusted it off to shoot a cyclo-cross race in Palos Verdes. Not to mention, I really miss using film and experimenting with all the different kinds. You don't really get that option with shooting digital. Sure, you can mess around with your image in PhotoShop but it's not the same. You're changing the image after you've already taken it.

So I've decided to give myself an assignment and take my Hasselblad out to the races. Cyclo-cross races, that is. In the coming months, I'll be posting some portraits and action shots of the 'cross events in an effort to document what the cyclo-cross culture is all about. I think I'll stick with shooting B&W film to diminish any distractions - cycling kits can get pretty colorful.

Here's my first shot using an 80mm lens and Fuji Neopan. My boyfriend, Wendel, rides for the super-fast and super-stylish team called Palos Verdes Cyclissmo (sp?) and here's a portrait of him along with his teammates. He's the second guy from the left - the poor guy broke his collarbone a few weeks ago so he couldn't participate in the race. Hopefully my pictures will get him super pumped for when he can get back into race mode. :-)

6 comments:

From Me To You said...

This picture is stunning and timeless. You always took beautiful Hasselblad images. I can't wait to see more.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.