Thursday, April 23, 2009

Why the world is better with chocolate


I've written several odes to chocolate in my day so I'll spare you the poetry but every now and again (read: everyday) I have a hankering for chocolate and have to share my fondness for it with friends and co-workers. If my boyfriend is reading this, he's probably having a good chuckle right now b/c I tend to start talking about how I want chocolate 5 minutes after every meal.

Am I addicted? Most definitely. But I suppose it could be worse. It's particularly satisfying if you've had a lousy day/week and it's generally a crowd-pleaser at parties. Doesn't matter what form it comes in (cookies, brownies, cake, etc), I just prefer it dark or semi-sweet. I made these cookies for my friend's BBQ last weekend and everyone said they tasted like heaven. They actually taste more like brownies. Even the batter resembles the consistency in brownies/cakes. Let it sit for a bit so it thickens up. And don't thank me, thank Martha for this great recipe.

I admit this picture is not my favorite but we had to leave for the BBQ so I only had a few minutes to find a semi-decent place to shoot the cookies.

Outrageous Chocolate Cookies

Makes 2 dozen
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chunks
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until almost melted; do not overheat. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate. Mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheets 10 minutes; with a thin metal spatula, transfer to racks to cool completely.

No comments: